It is estimated that approximately 70% of us fail to set goals. Of those who do set them, only about 5% actually put them in writing. Effective goal setting demands times, self-discipline, commitment, dedication and practice.
And before you can develop a strategy for success you must first have a definitive goal.So here are 7 things for you to consider in your goal settings process.
- Be specific and concrete rather than abstract and vague.
- They need to be measurable, related to time and specific about what will be accomplished over a certain time period.
- Goals must be realistic, attainable and prioritized.
- Identify potentials problems and obstacles that could prevent goals from being achieved.
- Establish milestones for reviewing progress and indicate how results will be measured.
- Identify risks involved in meeting the goals as well as the help and resources that may be needed to obtain goals.
- Periodically review progress and provide for revision if required.
Now go and set your goals now…(you don’t have to wait for the beginning of the year).